Nakuru is a city in the Southern Rift Valley region of Kenya.
Nakuru is the adminstrative and economical headquarters of Rift-valley Province. Convienently situated between Nairobi and Western Kenya, it also serves as a transit city for many travellers.
L.Nakuru airstrip is available for landing.
Take the Nairobi-Kisumu train. Not running at the moment (3/2013).
From Nairobi, the 158km (100 Miles)journey would take approximately 2hours. The newly renovated roads can be dangerous as only sections have dual carriageways. The scenery is beautiful, from Nairobi you will see the Great Rift Valley below from the highway.
Mololine, Crossroads and other matatu operators offer 9 seater and 14 seater matatu services from Nairobi. Mololine is known for its excellent service and security.
The large bus companies, including Akamba, Kampala Coach and Busways all have Nairobi to Kampala coaches which stop in Nakuru. Kampala Coach and Busways have booking offices opposite the mosque.
Lake Nakuru National Park is home to the famous pink flamingoes. It also offers viewing of various other species of animals and birds.
Menengai Crater is a dormant volcanoes that still spews out smoke. A view from the edge of the crater is a must.
- Lord Egerton Castle, 536-20115 (Ngata Area), ☎ 254 20 258 877 25. 2 hours. The Lord Egerton castle is located in Ngata, 14 Kilometers from Nakuru town towards Eldoret. It is managed by Egerton University. Tourists and locals are charged a fee to visit.
Ribbons, Mburu Gichua road. African food for around 100-150 shillings per course.
Taidys, Mburu Gichua road at the south end by the roundabout. A mix of African and Western food. Pizza 300S, most courses a little less.
Merica Hotel, West end of Kenyatta Avenue. Western food in an upmarket hotel. Meals for around 500S, they also have a pool you can use for 300S
Local drinks (Tusker)from the local bars, pops are available.
- Nakuru Backpackers Hostel, opposite Kamba bus station, along Nakuru – Eldoret highway (Just off Eldoret-Nakuru highway), ☎ +254 (0) 721 543 406,. checkin: 24h; checkout: 10AM. Hostel with a bar and hot showers. 800 kshs per person.
- Ming Yu Chinese Restaurant / Hotel, Kenyatta Avenue (Kenyatta Avenue), Nakuru. This is a hotel with a Chinese restaurant. It is right in the town center. Single rooms with ensuited bathroom is about $20. The food at the restaurant is okay.
- ARC Hotel, Nakuru, Kenya, 536-20115 (Take a matatu to Egerton alight at ARC Hotel within the University grounds.), ☎ 254 20 258 877 2,. checkin: From 7:00 am; checkout: 10:00 am. Located within Egerton University, Main Campus, Njoro in a serene atmosphere surrounded by scenic attractions is ARC Hotel, a three-star Hotel facility. The Hotel boasts of excellent conference facilities, which can cater for as many as 250 guests. The Restaurant offers a warm and friendly atmosphere of luxury, and the best in hospitality and service. ARC Hotel has modern 66 elegantly furnished rooms and 24 standard rooms with television (local channels). 2900.
- Marys homestay, St. Marys Estate – St Marys Pastoral Centre road (If you are coming from Nairobi, alight at Tuskys highway and if in Nakuru town you can always take a tuktuk, motorbike ride to St mary’s pastoral centre.), ☎ +254734721298 / +254706049755, . checkin: 24hrs; checkout: Noon. Homestay accomodation that is budget friendly and cosy for backpackers, volunteers and travellers in general. The beds are comfy and fitted with mosquito nets.The price includes bed, breakfast and dinner. Price is negotiable for volunteers staying in Nakuru for more than 3weeks 1,500.
Wild animals can get angry! Keep all your personals locked up safe and with you.